- What You Need to Know About Platinum -
I've had black hair, brown hair, red hair, highlighted hair, honey colored hair, extensions, different colored extensions, and then there was that time I cut most of it off...it's just hair, right? ;)
Taking hair risks is something I do more often than not. That doesn't mean I'm always happy with the results, although 9 out of 10 times I am. I prefer learning via trial and error and that's how I've ended up with yet another hair risk: platinum.
With my wedding in a little over six months - YES - I'm trying to get any wild and crazy hair ideas out of my system now. As I sat in my stylist's chair, she asked me if I wanted to 'just go for it.' I wasn't entirely sure what 'it' was, but she assured me that 'it' could be corrected pre-wedding if I totally hated it. So, me being me, I said, 'let's do this!'
Here I am, a little over a week post-bleaching my entire head, ready to give you everything you need to know about going platinum. (Sorry it's taken so long to get to the tips ;)
- The Process. Trust it. This is a no-brainer, but make sure your colorist has done this before. Mine showed me several photos of the gorgeous platinum beauties she was responsible for. Luckily, I was already so blonde that I was only one step away from white blonde. The actual bleaching of your entire head is uncomfortable to say the least. It itches, it burns, it makes you wonder why you're doing this...but it was bearable. A shout out to my scalp for not reacting heinously to the amount of dye placed directly on it. And to my best friend for allowing me to whine to her about the pain via text the entire time.
- The Care. Since I was already a blondie, not too much has changed in my haircare routine. I expose my hair to (too much) chlorine and it's incredibly curly, so I was already using a purple shampoo weekly and daily conditioning like crazy. My top picks are: a little of this and a lot of that. Generally, I avoid putting heat to my hair, but that's mainly because it's fine, not because it's blonde.
- The Response. It's been mixed to say the least. Some still haven't noticed, while others immediately asked when I was planning on, 'turning it back to normal.' My brother says I look like, 'the person from Frozen.' I'll take what I can get.
- My Response. I feel differently about it daily. It's striking in photos and with certain makeup. I also prefer it straight right now, as opposed to curly, which is inconvenient with my natural waves. I'm considering keeping it for a bit, but adding in a darker root.
If you're all about doing something shocking or you're just super bored or you've always just wanted to, I encourage you to go platinum. I'm definitely glad I gave it a shot. Have any of you lovelies ever considered it? xx