- Cutesy Strawberry Shortcake -
What better way to start off my birthday week then with some seriously delicious cake? My dad's b-day is just days before mine and all he requested of me was a strawberry shortcake. My presentation was a little less than stellar (does anyone have any tips for making things pretty?), but the taste was on point:
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 12 oz of whipped topping
- 2 oz of whipped cream cheese
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 2 pounds of fresh strawberries, trimmed and sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease square baking pan and line with parchment paper.
- Beat eggs until very light. Beat in sugar, water and vanilla. Sift flour, baking powder and salt and beat quickly into mixture. Immediately pour into pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Peel away parchment paper, and cool completely.
- Freeze for about an hour.
- Slice cake horizontally into two layers.
- Spread a layer of whipped topping over the bottom layer. Arrange strawberry slices evenly over the whipped topping.
- Place the top layer over the whipped topping and strawberries. Place in the fridge to solidify.
- In a bowl, beat the cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla until smooth. Fold whipped topping into the cream cheese mixture.
- Spread across top of the cake. Place sliced strawberries as desired.
- Refrigerate overnight.
Serve with vanilla ice cream and fall in love, okay? xx
*Original recipe from Sugar Apron, with modifications by me.